Support for Families
Everyone needs support.
It is common to overlook your own needs when supporting a loved one with an eating disorder. Recognize your own need for support during this time, prioritizing your wellbeing and self-care. You’ll be better equipped to support your loved one’s recovery in turn.
Find out more about our eating disorder treatment services.
It is not your fault.
You are not to blame for your loved one’s eating disorder. Eating disorders are complex illnesses influenced by a blend of biological, psychological, and social factors.
Whatever you are feeling is valid.
You likely feel a range of emotions about your loved one’s eating disorder. Fear, frustration, helplessness—it is normal to feel what you are feeling.
Please maintain your connections with your community-based providers while you wait to begin care, including any medical, mental health, nutrition, or psychiatry professionals.
By completing this Release of Information form, you can also allow these providers to share information with Veritas Collaborative. This communication between providers helps to inform care decisions and develop a treatment plan tailored to your needs.
We know that it is incredibly hard to wait for treatment. Although being on a waitlist does not mean that you do not deserve or need care, you may find yourself wondering if treatment is worth the wait. Connection and support are key during this time. Please check out the following resources to help you navigate the waiting period.
Free Virtual Support
The National Alliance for Eating Disorders offers free virtual support groups led by licensed eating disorder clinicians. Among them are weekly Pro-Recovery Support Groups for adults affected by an eating disorder and Family and Friends Support Groups for loved ones.
- Pro-Recovery Support Groups:
- Tuesdays, 7pm ET
- Thursdays, 7pm ET
- Saturdays, 11am ET
- LGBTQ+ Pro-Recovery Support Group: Wednesdays, 7pm ET
- Friends & Family Support Group: Thursdays, 7pm ET
Learn more and register on The Alliance’s website.
Eating Disorder Helplines
ANAD Helpline (National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders)
- Call 1-888-375-7767 for support, encouragement, and more.
- Visit the ANAD website for more information.
988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline
- If you are in crisis, there are options available to help you cope. For confidential support available 24/7 for everyone in the United States, call or text 988 to connect with the 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline. Chat services are also available.
- Visit the 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline website for more information or to access chat support.
Please access the nearest Emergency Department or call 911 in case of a life-threatening medical or mental health emergency.
With Me When APP
Find inspiration, education, and encouragement wherever you go with the With Me When app.
With Me When was designed by eating disorder clinicians as a companion to treatment and recovery. The following features are at your fingertips:
- Logs to track meals, behaviors, feelings, and goals
- Tools to develop coping skills
- Exercises to support mindfulness and relaxation
- Insights to better understand eating disorders and the recovery process
With the ability to customize logs and more, you can tailor the With Me When experience so that it’s uniquely yours. If you’re a Veritas Collaborative patient, you can also complete your patient paperwork and receive appointment alerts through the app.
Access the web version of With Me When here.